Sunday, December 09, 2007

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Work has been crazy as of lately. None of my events though, lots of holiday parties that my co-workers have booked. Saturday night I helping a co-worker (Jeanna) get a chocolate fountain started in her party. Let the record show that I HATE chocolate fountains. I think they are the most vile creations on earth. They should be referred to as "Fountains of Communicable Diseases." I've seen some gross stuff in my event days and I will never ever eat out of one ever. It's one of those unknown hospitality secrets similar to taking off the comforter off of hotel room beds. P.S. I have a list of things that you should watch out for in hotel rooms. If you're interested let me know. I would publish them, but for some people somethings are best left unsaid. That aside, we had to get it up and running. The kitchen brought up part of the chocolate for the fountain (or what we thought was the correct chocolate for the fountain). We poured it in the fountain and it looked like this:
Obviously, it needed more chocolate. So Jeanna headed down to the kitchen to get the rest only to discover that we were given the wrong (one was dark and the other was milk) chocolate!!! Not sure what to do, we thought about it for a second and decided to pour the rest of it in, thinking that it would just mix and aesthetically would look funny for a few minutes, but would then just mix together. Not so fast my friend. What we didn't know was the kitchen had given us was not just two different flavors of chocolate, but textures as well. It started to back up and falling in clumps from the top of the fountain to the bottom, splattering chocolate everywhere! Then the top tier of the fountain started shaking and spinning. It had some serious volcanic action going on. So we had to unplug it, take it out of the room, and clean it in pits (dish washing room). Needless to say I never want to see, smell, or eat chocolate EVER again. Here is the after picture:


We ended up serving it fondue style out of a crock. Not quite the presentation that the client was looking for, but a little bit more sanitary.

3 comments:

MLS said...

Ok, please do publish an entry about the "how to's" of hospitality. I am the type to NEVER use the hotel comforter....so, the other "secrets"....do tell!!

Kitty Brown said...

I want to hear, too -- have you seen the hidden camera investigation re hotel room cups from ATL? It's disgusting. Oh, and we are anti-chocolate fountain over here, too.

Stacey said...

Miss Kitty, funny you should mention hotel room glasses, not one thing in that story surprised me and when i blog about all my hotel secrets, never drinking out of hotel glasses (unless they are disposible, covered in plastic or you see housekeepers bringing them up in dishwashing trays) will top number one on my list. I have seen it all happen before.