Monday, October 08, 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen...the Grandfather of Telluride!


It was brought to my attention that I hadn't blogged about the Sam Bush show at Workplay! Sam Bush is one of my favorite artists of all time. A friend of mine, Josh Flowers, turned me into a Sam Bush fan while I living in Buena Vista, Colorado. Sam plays each year at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival and is known to the Telluride Bluegrass family as the "Grandfather of the Telluride Bluegrass Festival." He started playing the festival in 1975 and has come back each year since. Sam is constantly pulled up on stage with numerous performers and has been known to pull a few up on stage with him. My favorite performance has to be a few years back when he pulled up Jean Luc Ponty on stage and they performed Ponty's, "New Country" that now appears on Sam's newest CD "Lapse in Seven." His set is typically Saturday night of the festival. Every year, it seems that I have some sort of headache on Saturday of the Festival (probably from camping for 3 nights and getting NO rest, dang festivarians!), my motto for this ailment has become, "It's nothing that a little Sam can't take care of!"

Anyway, I was privileged enough to attend this concert with an old friend, Doug Clapp. Doug was a professor of mine in college and through Young Life connections, we have stayed good friends through the years. The Greencards (what a band!) opened for Sam. Doug and I noticed during the show that all of Sam's equipment still had "New Grass Revival" stenciled on it. I thought it was pretty dang cool that I was staring at the mixers and monitors that had helped shape the entire New Grass movement for the past 35 years! It was quite a moment for me. (Yes, I know I am a dork.) Sam played mostly songs from his new album and every so often would throw in a Bob Marley classic! The crowd was mixed with old school Revival fans and new school jam band types. It was quite a mix.

All in all, it was a fantastic night, seeing great music with a fun friend.

No comments: