Monday, October 29, 2007

Weekend Update....

As I mentioned in my last post, this past weekend I met Katy and Laurie down in NOLA for Voodoo fest. Funny thing happened on my way down there. I called Katy to tell her I was leaving and to chat. I mentioned that I was going to leave to head back home early on Sunday, so I could hang out with Missy, Darren, Kayin, and the Carpenters. Well, apparently two weeks ago in the midst of my Clinton hysteria, Katy sent me an email stating that she was going to buy tix for Sunday instead of Saturday. I replied back "Great!" She could have told me that she was going to throw me into a pit of rabid wolves and I would have replied back "Great!" I was so wrapped up in things. But it was still a fun weekend none the less.

I got down to NOLA at 11pm on Friday night, seriously, it had not been 2 minutes since I turned off the interstate to go to Laurie's house when I saw my first drag queen. Not kidding. The largest gold sparkling dress I had ever seen in my life. Gotta love it! On Saturday, we slept in, went to lunch and then went to an art show. It hadn't been 15 minutes we had been at the art show when Katy realized that she didn't have her Blackberry. After retracing her steps for about 20 minutes, I called her phone and someone answered! Some lady seriously must have picked up her phone before it hit the ground, because she was already home in a suburb about 35 minutes away! We left, retrieved the phone, and came back just in time to catch the last 30 minutes of the show. I had not been back to NOLA post Katrina. It was crazy to still see such remnants of the storm. I talked to several local artists the show, it was sad to see how their lives are still upside down from it all and how refugee-esque their lives still are! It made me really thankful for the life I have been blessed with and was a reminder that, from everyone who has been given much, much will be required.


We then headed down to the French Market, checked out a body painting art studio, people watched at Cafe du Monde and then headed home. On the way home, Laurie kept saying that her steering wheel seemed tight. Well 15 miles later we stop for gas and had a flat tire. Awesome. In the middle of a bad part of town, 3 girls, and one flat tire. Luckily, we all knew how to change a flat and let me tell you, it was a good thing we knew because not one person out of the 15 that walked by offered to help. Let me take that back. One guy (completely metro-sexual and dressed up to go out) did take one look at us and said, "Oh Crap!" and this wasn't an, "Oh Crap, that stinks you have a flat tire!" this was an, "Oh Crap! I am obligated as a guy to help you out and I really don't want to!" Katy looked at him and said, "Don't worry, we've got it. I wouldn't want you to scuff up your shoes." Yes. She said it. I told her that I was going to make her a shirt that said "Katy Nowiczewski...Telling it like it is since 1980" We changed the tire, bid adieu to any chivalry thought to have existed in the south, and headed home.

We got home and Laurie had to go to a wedding shower. This left Katy and I at home, watching a movie (and the world series, we're not talking about that one, I'm subscribing to the theory, if we don't talk about it, it never happened). We had a dinner consisting of a greek salad, La Crema Chardonnay, chips and queso, sour watermelon candy, and candy covered almonds. That's right, the dinner of champs my friends.

Sunday, I left early to go and hang out with Missy, Darin, and Kayin. Here are a few shots of Kayin...



No comments: